question

catamaranguy avatar image
catamaranguy asked

Energy Quattro- A/C input to output question?

Looking at using the Energy Quattro 5000 Watt 48 V Inverter/Charger on my boat for a Solar, Lithium upgrade. The Quattro has two A/C input's (Shore Power and Generator).

Question - Does the size of the inverter (5000W) limit the amount of A/C power you output from the inverter, if that power was received from one of your A/C inputs (Shore/Generator)?

Example... if I'm connected to shore power (Inverting is receiving shore power A/C) and the boat draws more than 5000 watts, is the inverter going to limit me to the 5000 watts?

Thank you for your responses!

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@CatamaranGuy

Only if you set the input current limit to limit the shore power for the two sources. You can do this permanently in ve config or if you have a gx device it can be interactive through the menus. There is a minimum you can set it down to, think it is around 4amps then it will power assist the loads if they are higher than the inout limit.

Otherwise the inverter can transfer 100A on both the 120v and 230v models.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

AC output is not limited to the inverter power as long as the AC input is present. In fact, the AC input power adds to the inverter power. For example, if you have a 50 amp shore power connection, you'd get 50 amps PLUS the inverter's 5000 watts at the output.

It's best to split your loads between critical and non-critical. The non-critical loads are disconnected when AC input is lost.

You also have the ability to limit the AC input current to match available shore or generator power. Separate limits can be set for AC input 1 and 2.

2 |3000

catamaranguy avatar image
catamaranguy answered ·

Thank You for the excellent answers!

Sounds like the Quattro has some nice features/programing that I'll have to look into.

1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Yes, lots of good stuff. I recommend getting a Victron solar controller and battery monitor. Then add Cerbo GX and a Touch GX 50 or 70 screen. The Cerbo ties everything together for on-one-place status and control. It will even automatically control your generator: lost of shore, low state of charge, etc.

If you choose Victron batteries, also look at the Lynx BMS which includes the battery monitor as well as safety disconnect with soft start.

0 Likes 0 ·