question

perham avatar image
perham asked

Batteries aren't charging.

Hi, bought a 20amp victron to charge my leisure batteries for camping. Found out both batteries were at 6.2 volts each. Connected mppt and two 100w solar panels in parallel. On a sunny day the voltage on smart victron app is says 32volts and only 5watts. The blue led on mppt is solid meaning bulk charge but not charging the batteries. Was the voltage of the batteries to low for my mppt before connect solar panels? Is there a way to reset my victron mppt and start over or are my leisure batteries beyond charging. I'm confused as assumed wattage meets voltage if below so many volts on the batteries.

Many Thanks,

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Victron MPPT controllers won't work with a 6 volt battery. If your leisure electrical system is 6 volts then you won't be able to use any Victron MPPT solar controller for charging. If your leisure electrical system is 12 volts, then connecting the two batteries in series will produce a voltage the MPPT will work with. You may need to reset the battery voltage in VictronConnect if it got set incorrectly at some point.

The solar voltage must be 5 volts greater than the battery voltage to start up the charger. After that the solar voltage must be 1 volt greater than the battery voltage.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pastor89 avatar image pastor89 commented ·

walgreenslistens Wrote:

Thanks for the update and quick reply. I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread. Looking for the same issue.

0 Likes 0 ·