question

lenybraes avatar image
lenybraes asked

Control of Shelly 1 WiFi Relays

Hi. I'm working towards using the Venus GX to shed excess power to up to 3 hot water services. The high level plan is to use low wattage elements controlled by Shelly 1 WiFi relay switches. It looks like the MQTT broker could converse with the Shellys. Does this sound feasible and does anyone have experience with this please?

Venus GX - VGXMQTT
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Dosheimer avatar image
Dosheimer answered ·

Hi! I don´t know if this is also useful for you, but I have NodeRed running via Victron OS large on a Raspi4. By using NodeRed you easily can switch on/off the Shelly´s using the shelly http API commands (i.e. http://username:password@local-IP-of-shelly/relay/0?turn=on)

In my setting I am making hot water for 10 minutes on my boat via inverter and boiler in case the condition SOC=100% and PV-power>30V is true.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lenybraes avatar image lenybraes commented ·
Thanks for that. My original idea was to use an Arduino. A Raspberry sounds neat. I'll look further into that. However, it seems possible to get directly into the Venus GX and control the Shelly switches from there so I'm chasing an 'elegant' solution. As I have 3 HWS located in three cabins I'll need to build in some counter/flag logic to share the load across the 3 services. Right now I'm sizing the elements for each HWS as 3.6 KW will be poor use of excess power.
0 Likes 0 ·
wittyhat avatar image
wittyhat answered ·

@LenyBraes Did you get any further with this? Was just googling for the same thing!

@Dosheimer Also using Shellys on a boat here, would love to hear more about your projects / experiments with Venus OS Large

2 |3000

lenybraes avatar image
lenybraes answered ·

Hi. No coding as yet. I've now installed 3 x 1000W elements in the 3 hot water services and connected Shelly 1PMs which give me feedback on power usage and status. I realised that I could turn on with Shelly but if the water is full heat then the thermostat turns off the element. I'm manually controlling them with Shelly cloud for now and looking at the status of the solar system via the Venus. That's helping me realise the logic I might need to manage this automatically. i can see that with good sun I can switch on before batteries are 100% as long as there's time to recharge them. I'm fortunate to have been loaned a Arduino with the Venus OS to experiment with. So far it looks to be achievable. Meanwhile it's shearing and hay season......

2 |3000

diromobil avatar image
diromobil answered ·

Hello,

I plan to install a temperature and humidity sensor near the Winston 400Ah on the Raspberry 3b+ with VenusOS and SetupHelper.

The distance is great for a wired solution and I would love the idea of bridging the connection with a Shelly 1 WiFi connection.

The DHT22 sensor is to be installed, which is to measure humidity and temperature.

Target:

Display of both temperature and humidity values

in the start window of VenusOS.

I did find this post about Shelly 1, but somehow I didn't find a handy and simple solution.

Does anyone else have an idea?

Thanks for help.

shelly-1-dht22-sensor.jpg

2 |3000

claudioita avatar image
claudioita answered ·

@diromobil hi, I achieved this with ruuvi tag, connected via BT to a Cerbo GX, I think an elegant solution.

I am also looking to control some Shelly plug or Shelly 1 or 1Pm, and would be nice to integrate them into Victron, otherwise I will need to make a Home Assistant server that controls all, but it's an additional object to maintain (on a boat...)

2 |3000