question

jcottis avatar image
jcottis asked

Additional Component Recommendations for Victron MultiPlus-II 24/3000/70-32 230V Inverter Charger Purchase

Hi, I am about to purchase a Victron MultiPlus-II 24/3000/70-32 230V Inverter Charger and would like to get recommendations on what additional components to order. I currently have a Cerbo and a BMV-712 in the boat already.

I am thinking of ordering the Digital Multi Control 200/200A GX to remotely control the unit off/on etc however not sure if I also need one of the following to be able to perform firmware updates and configuration changes or can I simply do this through the Cerbo?

Do I need a Victron Interface MK3-USB or VE.Bus Smart dongle?

I plan to use the most basic functions of the Mutliplus-II of the inverter and battery charger.

Thanks in advance.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
taylortops avatar image
taylortops answered ·

You won't need interface cables if you have the Cerbo working. Highly recommend RCBO's on your AC side, though, and DC breakers on your battery.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jcottis avatar image jcottis commented ·

thank you taylortops

0 Likes 0 ·
David avatar image
David answered ·

If you add a Digital 200GX, that adds convenience to changing Multiplus Modes and current limits when you are inside the boat, but it prevents you making those same changes via the Cerbo Remote Console. Depends on how you like to operate to if that matters or not.
For a new installation, I would hold back on the 200GX initially and see how you get on. You can always add it later.

You can run VE.Config on the computer and upload to the Multiplus via VRM, so you don't need the Mk3 Dongle for that if you have VRM. If you don't have internet access (could be the case on a boat?) then the Mk3 Dongle would be needed.
You can now update the Firmware on the Multiplus (most of them anyway - definately a new one) via VRM as well (recent feature enhancement) so that should do away with needing a Mk3 Dongle entirely.

I have a Mk3 Dongle, but I can't recall the last time I used it as use the VRM method always.

1 comment
2 |3000

jcottis avatar image jcottis commented ·

thank you

wildebus

0 Likes 0 ·