question

mirkomona avatar image
mirkomona asked

MPPT 100/50 with new solar panels

Good day,

Currently I have 5x100w solar panels installed. Now I want to replace them with 2X330W panels and I'm not sure if it's too much for my MPPT. I do have a 12V system.

I attach the specifications of the new panels.

Thanks for your help.

Mirko

img-20210829-232341.jpg

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

You need a new mppt for your new panels.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mirkomona avatar image mirkomona commented ·
Why do you think I need a new one?
0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

This calculator https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator and the https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-SmartSolar-charge-controller-MPPT-100-30-&-100-50-EN.pdf contains all the answers and should always be the first place to look. Hope it helps ... and yes it will handle the panels just fine if you intend to replace the 100W with these two panels. Otherwise you will require an additional charge controller to keep things balanced.

4 comments
2 |3000

mirkomona avatar image mirkomona commented ·

Ok thank you, didn't know this site to calculate the controller.

What do you mean with "Otherwise you will require an additional charge controller to keep things balanced."?

I want to replace 5x100w to 2x330w.

Does it matter if I connect the serial or parallel?

Best regards from French-Polynesia with limited access to the internet

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ mirkomona commented ·
If you want to replace the 5x!00 with the 2x330 it is fine.

But I you want to connect both to one MPPT that wouldn't work well and you should use a 2nd MPPT for the new panels.

0 Likes 0 ·
mirkomona avatar image mirkomona Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
Okay my mistake...my question was not clear. I'm going to replace the 5x100w and connect only the 2X330W to the mppt.
0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw mirkomona commented ·
I assumed you were replacing the panels, but if you were not, then an additional controller would be required. By balancing I meant, it is not adviseable to mix panels and then a second controller would have ensured both sets could function optimally. Your internet is like the British weather then ;)
0 Likes 0 ·