Idea

Rune Eilertsen avatar image
Rune Eilertsen suggested

Motor hours in VRM

Hi, would be nice to have motor hours in overview, dashboard and advanced pages (history).

And be able to define alarms on motor run hour. ( Maybe both warning and alarm. ( Yellow/ red motor status. )

VRM
1 comment
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

For the generator you mean?

1 Comment

laurenceh avatar image
laurenceh commented

Interesting idea, some thoughts and observations below do comment and I will have a look and see what I can get working.

1: this original idea may relate to a generator but I ( and I expect many others) would be interested in this for their narrowboats and RVs where how long we have run the engine is a useful metric - particularly for engine service intervals.

2: I am doing this currently from VRM logs. I download the logs in excel and count all the time the DC system is producing energy. This works because; (a) on my narrowboat the boat engine drives an alternator, and when on the alternator always generates more than the boat DC systems consume. (b) Venus OS already carefully calculate the impact of solar generation and multiplus inverter consumption, so the DC system power consumption is purely that and is -ve when the alternator is generating. ( The only case I would need to check is if I turn the engine on when connected to shore power but I expect that will probably also work)

3: I can easily write a service in Venus that locally counts all the time the engine is on using the same method, it’s probably a couple of hours work.

4: getting it into the VRM is the issue. I have used a trick before that any data which claims to be a temperature is automatically included in the local Venus UI and also on the VRM. So provided the VRM does not care how high the ‘temperature’ value is, it should be possible to fool the VRM to display the engine hours even though it will say “engine hours xxxx (deg) C” worst case I might have to scale the value so in my case 4,678 hours might be displayed as 4.678.

Once I have the data there are people on this forum who are better than me at modifying the system overview screens who can do that bit.

Please let me know any thoughts on this over the next few days and I will give it a go.

1 comment
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

I think an official solution is what I am looking for. And how it counting motor hour can for me be selected from.

a: generator run hour.. (those are already present in venus device, so should be easy to collect… and those run hour would be even better if has a total hour and an trip counter that can be reset when do engine service. (As today)

b: input signal when engine is running…

Motor hour is of great importance for fleet operations.

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.