Idea

johnjaymack avatar image
johnjaymack suggested

Making changes to the Input Current Limit Easier and More Automated

I am running two Multiplus II 2x120 24 vdc inverters in a parallel configuration with a Cerbo GX in a Class A motorcoach. For incoming AC power I have two options: Option 1 is a connection to external AC power. This power could be from a split phase source such as an RV 50-amp pedestal, or could be from a single phase source such as the 30-amp pedestal or a 110 VAC, 15-amp outlet from a house.

Option 2 is a connection to our on-board 8-kw generator. This generator supplies single phase power.

When I hookup to external power or run my generator, I have to manually adjust the incoming power limit to match my power source. This requires going to the Menu portion of the Touch-50, selecting the Multiplus II 2x120, finding the Input Current Limit page, and using the plus = or minus - buttons to scroll to the current limit needed. The scrolling function can easily lead to a mistake, and the exact level chosen needed must be known. This maybe fine for the technically oriented person, but is not so easy for a normal, common user.

I have two suggestions. Suggestion #1 is to create an interface panel similar to the automatic generator control panel on the Touch-50. I would suggest that this panel might have say five push buttons which could be individually programed to specific 'incoming current limit'. For example, button 'A' might be 50-amp, button 'B' 30-amp, button 'C' 20-amp, and so on. The label of each button should be programmable i.e. button 'A' might show '50-amp'. When you hook up to shore power, you would call up this screen and select the correct current limit by pushing the button.

Suggestion #2 is to allow an externally programmed condition to select one of the buttons automatically to override the previously selected condition while the external condition exists. As an example, assume that button 'E' is the button chosen for the override condition and that it is set to 70 amps which matches the generator output current limit. Also assume that button "C" is currently selected for an input current limit of 20-amps. The external signal selected is a "Generator Running' signal.

When the generator IS Not Running, the current input limit is set to 20-amps as selected by button 'C'. When the generator is started, either manually or automatically by the AGS control, the external signal "Generator Running' is turned ON and the input current limit set by button 'E' 70-amps is selected. When the generator reaches its turn-off conditions and turns off, the external signal "Generator Running" turns off and the input current limit reverts to the originally selected button 'C' 20-amps is selected.

As a final benefit, having the input currents selected by a Touch-50 virtual push button allows a non-technical person to adjust the incoming power in a simple manner and placing the choice of input power levels deeper in the system where technicians set the levels.

control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas commented

Kevin windrem's guimods coupled with his external transfer switch mod does all of this easily and seamlessly.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

Thanks Derrick. I was just going to make the same suggestion.

Here are the links:

https://github.com/kwindrem/SetupHelper

https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods

https://github.com/kwindrem/ExtTransferSwitch

The external transfer switch will switch between two input types (grid or generator for example) and two different current limits. In your situation you'd really need 3 current limits but at least you can automate the shore(grid) / generator selection.

GuiMods provides 4 user-programmable presets on current limit.

0 Likes 0 ·
johnjaymack avatar image johnjaymack Kevin Windrem commented ·

I am going to send this to both of you who replied. I do appreciate your reply, but I am confused by what is needed. I am sure this is due to my not understanding where the modifications are to be made. You explain clearly how to download the software packages and how the changes can be made, but I am lost as to what the changes are being made to.

I have a coach-based transfer switch which provides either a shore power connection or a generator connection to the Multiplus inverters and I know how to get an auxiliary signal switch to indicate which external AC input is available.

I have a Cerbo GX as my central connection point.

I guess I just don't know where the software package is to be installed? I make an assumption that I download the various software packages to my computer. If these software packages are supposed to be applied to the Cerbo, I would ask HOW?

If you could point me towards the thread where the fundamentals are discussed, I would greatly appreciate your help.

0 Likes 0 ·
derrick thomas avatar image derrick thomas johnjaymack commented ·
Setup helper needs to be installed on the cerbo. Follow the directions on the GitHub. Blind install is the easiest. Once setup helper is installed you can install the guimods and ExtTransferSwitch packages via the setup helper menu in the cerbo.
0 Likes 0 ·
drizzay avatar image drizzay Kevin Windrem commented ·

@Kevin Windrem Just want to send a quick thanks for all the work you do. I have gotten the External Transfer Switch functionality up and running.

0 Likes 0 ·
johnjaymack avatar image johnjaymack commented ·
I am going to send this to both of you who replied. I do appreciate your reply, but I am confused by what is needed. I am sure this is due to my not understanding where the modifications are to be made. You explain clearly how to download the software packages and how the changes can be made, but I am lost as to what the changes are being made to.

I have a coach-based transfer switch which provides either a shore power connection or a generator connection to the Multiplus inverters and I know how to get an auxiliary signal switch to indicate which external AC input is available.

I have a Cerbo GX as my central connection point.

I guess I just don't know where the software package is to be installed? I make an assumption that I download the various software packages to my computer. If these software packages are supposed to be applied to the Cerbo, I would ask HOW?

If you could point me towards the thread where the fundamentals are discussed, I would greatly appreciate your help.

0 Likes 0 ·
drizzay avatar image
drizzay commented

You can follow this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8y_wFmuxGA

2 |3000

johnjaymack avatar image
johnjaymack commented

Thank You for the video.

2 |3000

Your Opinion Counts

Share your great idea, or help out by voting for other people's ideas.

Related Ideas