question

leverg avatar image
leverg asked

Fridge on Multiplus, compressor kickin voltage drop problem. I know the cause, but what might be a solution ?

Hi all.

We have a small ikea fridge which takes about 80 to 90 watt. However when the compressor starts we get a L1 Overload which we also had when we had a smaller Multiplus. (1200Watt, now a 1600 Watt).

Ik know this compressor startup is overloading the circuit for a brief moment, nonetheless the fridge does work great but sometimes resets the led dimmers etc, so this is really annoying and causes quite some alerts in the Cerbo logs.

Is there a solution for this ? There is about 30 cm of 50mm2 cable between the 12v Lynx and the multiplus. So don`t think that this is a issue ? The battery powers is 230 Ah on a new Bosch AGM battery.

Is it possible to have something like a UPS to connect the Fridge to and than to the L1 of the Multiplus ? Or some kind of capacitor which solves the voltage drop of the compressor startup of the fridge ?

Greetings Leverg.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

A typical, on-demand UPS probably won't solve your problem because it will pass any load back to it's input even if it's just a spike. An on-line UPS may or may not buffer that spike but unless it's rated for the fridge's spike it could also overload.

Overload warnings occur when you exceed the specified maximum power or VA of the inverter. That says the peak power is exceeding 1600 watts/VA or about 130 amps at 12 volts.

If your battery voltage is dipping far enough to affect light dimmers, then you may need additional battery capacity. Not so much total Ah, but the peak current the bank can supply. No capacitor would store enough charge to avoid the tip.

RVers often install a soft-start on their air conditioners to reduce this very problem. I am using the MicroAir soft-start. You might contact them to see if something like that can be used on your fridge. I Googled a bit but didn't come up with a product suited for refrigerators.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.