question

seymore1962 avatar image
seymore1962 asked

Victron Orion install

Hello. Please, in simple terms and explicit direction tell me how to install the Victron Orion 12 I 12-30 unit. The manual seems to assume I should know what I am doing but I don’t. What connects to what. How is it to be connected? The diagrams all indicate the alternator and the starter battery. Is that necessary? Then what? The little boxes for the wiring are square. Do I need to find a casing for the wire? Please provide idiot proof step by step instructions as I can do the mechanics but the electronics are well out of my league.

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

No offense but if you don't know how to do it you should ask a local installer for help.

The installation of an Orion isn't that difficult.

+ and - from the starter battery to the input and from the output to the auxiliary battery.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seymore1962 avatar image seymore1962 commented ·

So the alternator does not need to be involved? I can do that it was the convoluted diagrams that confused everything.

0 Likes 0 ·
seymore1962 avatar image seymore1962 commented ·

Alright an additional query.... I have also read if your rig has an isolator array you don’t actually need the unit. Any assist?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

I second Matthias' suggestion to seek professional help with the design and possibly the installation. If you don't know what you are doing the installation could be unsafe. Fusing, wire sizing, etc all need to be considered in the design. This is all discussed in the manual. But again, if this is over your head, get help locally.

All vehicles will involve a battery and an alternator as part of the starter system.

Normally, you'd only want to charge your auxiliary battery when the engine is running to avoid discharging the starter battery. You can wire the remote control to power source that is switched on and off by the ignition switch.

Tthe DC-DC converter you call out has "engine shutdown protection" that automatically detects the alternator state, so wiring the remote connection into your existing electrical system shouldn't be necessary. But it does require setting the threshold voltages.

An "isolator" is a low cost device that provides SOME independence between the starter and auxiliary/house electrical systems. But the Orion solution is far superior and provides much better protection to the house battery and the alternator. The Orion is the "right" solution.

2 |3000