question

Robin avatar image
Robin asked

How to set a charge current limit for 2 mppt charge controllers

I have been told there is no link cable for running 2 mppt charge controllers together as they work off voltage. But I only won't maximum 50 amp charge . Each set of panels and charge controller will do around 50 amp each. Is there anyway around this. I don't won't to set each charge controller lower than max. I would like them to communicate somehow so they can bother operate at full if needs be. Any ideas

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi Robin,

This feature requires a Venus-device, which enables the DVCC features and co-ordinates the two MPPTs. One of the DVCC features is a combined system charge current maximum limit.

Also this DVCC feature is only for the VE.Direct MPPT's, not for the VE.Can MPPTs.

Do you have VE.Direct or VE.Can MPPT's?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

If the panels are getting the same solar input, you can also just limit each controller to 25 A, that way you get the most out of the day's solar input.

As Guy writes, to use the maximum from your batteries you need more devices, but you don't state what other components are in your system. With a Venus and a BMV battery monitor you can compensate for DC-loads to keep total charge current under 50 A, also when you have an inverter using power the Venus can compensate and adjust the solar charge current for power used by the inverter.

2 |3000

Robin avatar image
Robin answered ·

Thanks for answer.

Sorry I am not sure.

I have smart solar 150/85. Ve direct port

Blue solar charge controller 100/50

How can I tell the difference between ve can and be direct

Can't seem to fined it in Manuel.

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff)

2 |3000