question

razzle308 avatar image
razzle308 asked

Output off when solar stops

Hi.

I usually connect my fridge to the battery, but I connected it to load to measure the fridge's power usage. However it turns the load output off when the panels no longer get sun (nightfall).

Is there a way to keep the load on?

Thanks.

Darren.

MPPT Controllers
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

spanner avatar image spanner commented ·

Are you using a shunt? Photo's or a diagram will assist?

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
marc-de-montreal avatar image
marc-de-montreal answered ·

i need more details.. what is the new load which measure your fridge usage, a Kill a Watts meter? ..a power meter?

if you use the controller output load for the fridge, the controller have a voltage set (adjustable) to be OFF when the battery voltage is low (for to protect the battery).. the way to have more juice is to put the voltage load turn off at a lower voltage or to plug directly to the battery (but less safe)..

have you any details to add for to be more understandable?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

razzle308 avatar image
razzle308 answered ·

The Victron smart solar(75/15) has PV in, Battery, Load.

I have the battery on battery obviously and I put the fridge on the load output. This way I can use the blue tooth software to see how much power the fridge is using.

The fridge has a low battery cut out - but that won't happen for 3 days on a full battery.

But the victron will stop the output to load when the voltage on the PV input drops. This turns the fridge off despite a full battery.

I want the load to stay on.

2 comments
2 |3000

marc-de-montreal avatar image marc-de-montreal commented ·

that look the inverse of the load turn on the lights during the night.. have you checked your load connect/disconnect setting?

0 Likes 0 ·
spanner avatar image spanner commented ·

Can you take photo of wiring ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@razzle308

Do you have a smart mppt? You can connect via bluetooth if not the a be direct to usb cable will do.

Then you can set it to cut off on voltage.

Open victron connect

Go to the cog on the top right

Select load output

Then customize according to your needs and battery specs.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/MPPT_Solar_Charge_Controllers/en/settings.html#UUID-3324d989-d2a8-cbf5-fdef-ec34e537176f

screenshot-20210213-195548-comvictronenergyvictron.jpg

2 |3000

Ray avatar image
Ray answered ·

Sounds like the load output sees the fridge as a short cct and cuts off, see my solution here:

https://community.victronenergy.com/comments/23445/view.html

Ray

2 |3000