question

kwammie avatar image
kwammie asked

victron bluesolar mppt 150/70 not showing any charge from panels

Shortly after changing from mains to my panels my batteries went flat and the MPPT display shows no charge from my solar panels, even though they are in full sunlight, what might be the probable cause?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

whats the PV voltage showing on the bluesolar unit, (to check this use a voltmeter at the PV connection point on the regulator it should be a MIN of 5 volts higher than battery voltage. the reg wont start charging unless 5 volts higher than battery voltage is achieved, if the panels are 18 volt panels then you may need to connect them in series to raise there voltage.

I suspect it will be a bad connecting in your panel wiring. as the information you have provided is quite limited.

ie battery voltages, array size watts , array voltage, whats its history and a wiring diagram

some other things to check but be careful and if you dont know what you are doing please ask someone locally for help that does.

easy way to check is first disconnect the pv string wires from the regulator the two the pos and neg wires from your panel strings and join them together then with a DC clamp meter measure the amps thats being outputted by the strings.

if its not what the string total should be then check all the string connections.

DONT DO THIS IF we are talking high string voltage and or large array size. but under 600 watts/ 100 volts or there abouts thats fine. ALWAYS be careful not to touch the connections with your body in any way. as voltages OVER 50 volts are very dangerous. and connections can get hot.

do not leave them shorted for long time periods.

if you do this its done at your own risk.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.