question

david-fenton avatar image
david-fenton asked

Victron 250/100 mppt, amp and voltage limits for each of the 3 pv terminals

I'm planning a shed, roof mounted off grid system and will be using some Victron gear. The Victron 250/100 mppt seems to be a good match for the two sets of second hand panels I purchased. Their combined rated watts add to just under 5kw.

The Victron unit has a max open circuit voltage from the PV array of 230v and max Isc of 70amps from the PV array. The unit has 3 sets of input terminals from the PV array.

What I need to know is how the unit combines the inputs so as to minimise losses (I'm using two types of panels) and also to make sure I don't overload the unit. i.e. does the Victron take the 3 inputs from the PV array and join them in series or parallel or something else?

It seems logical to me to consider them to function in parallel otherwise overloading the voltage from arrays of panels will be too easy.

Thanks in advance for knowledge and help

Cheers D

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @David Fenton

You're right, they just parallel together inside the unit. The MC4 plug has only a 30A rating. hence the 3x pairs to cover the 70A limit.

I find them a bit of a pain, but they do keep prying hands away from dangerous dc voltage. Safety first, hey..

I'm not sure where you found that 230V limit though, the spec sheet says 245V as a practical limit.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.