question

jonow avatar image
jonow asked

Do I have a faulty MPPT controller?

I have a new installation with 6 x 365W panels in two strings connected to a MPPT 150/70 TR, a Multiplus 1600/24v in ESS consumption mode.

It is a lovely sunny day in Cape Town, and at 6am I was generating 700W, then quite suddenly the power dropped to almost nothing although the voltage remained at about 130v. I tried reseting the MPPT controller at around 10:30 and the power spiked up to around 1400W, but dropped immediatley down to around 20 - 30W.

screenshot-2020-11-19-jono-home-vrm-portal4.png

screenshot-2020-11-19-jono-home-vrm-portal5.png

I've checked the wiring and fuses and breakers. All firmware is at the latest revision.

Could I have configured something wrong? It really looks to me like a faulty charge controller though.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jkkm avatar image
jkkm answered ·

Hello,

I have been struggling with the same issue for awhile now.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/66946/smartsolar-charger-15035-still-experiencing-zero-o.html

Victron is looking into the issue

Regards

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nigelfxs avatar image
nigelfxs answered ·

This behaviour would be expected if your batteries are fully charged and there is no external load on the Multiplus.

1 comment
2 |3000

jonow avatar image jonow commented ·

screenshot-2020-11-19-remote-console-on-lan1.png

This is my current usage, it seems the charge controller only wants to charge the battery and not supply power for ac - so I wonder if this is a configuration error.

0 Likes 0 ·
jonow avatar image
jonow answered ·

UPDATE: I see that BatterLife State is Discharge Disabled, so the inverter won't supply ac until SOC reaches minimum - I have set minimum SOC at 90% and my battery is sitting at 87% but only charging from solar at 14W so charging really slowly (aborption) . So I now need to work out how to charge the batteries faster, or charge using the grid perhaps - in any case it seems a huge waste of solar to charge for hours at 17W when I could also be supplying critical loads - or am I missing something?

2 |3000