question

michelbeausejour avatar image
michelbeausejour asked

Disabling charging on MPPT while on shore power

Is this a good practice to disable the MPPT charger while connected on shore power?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Will avatar image
Will answered ·

Not sure about what is technically the best practice but I leave mine on 24/7/365 for a couple of years now and so far so good. I think it is fine.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

solardude avatar image
solardude answered ·

The only issue I see is in full sun while also connected to shore power, it may be possible to charge at a higher amp rate than your batteries can handle. This should theoretically only happen if your batteries are low, the sun is out (MPPTs are bulk charging), and when you plug in, your inverter starts charging in bulk mode.

As long as your batteries can handle the max combined current of both charge sources, you are fine. You could also use DVCC to limit the max current, provided you have a Victron inverter and CCGX.

I also like to set my inverter charge voltage a bit lower than my MPPT voltage, just so the sun is topping off my batteries each day, and not the grid. I hate wasting sun :)

2 |3000

hummingbear avatar image
hummingbear answered ·

I believe you need to use a Venus device and you can limit the combined output current to the batteries. It's under the DVCC setting, see below

1605545873321.png

1605545873321.png (139.1 KiB)
2 |3000