question

dnyman avatar image
dnyman asked

Why does my SmartSolar 100/30 not get to proper equalization voltage

SmartSolar 100/30 will not get to programmed equalization voltage 16.2v. It will only get to 15.3.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

When the charger is in the equalization phase, how much current is flowing?

In section 3.8 of the manual it describes the conditions for the equalization phase.
The equalization current is limited to 8% (2.4A) for the default battery type or 25% (7.5A) for a user defined type. If this current is not enough to lift the Voltage to 16.2V then perhaps your battery bank is large or maybe it has got problems.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-SmartSolar-charge-controller-MPPT-100-30-&--100-50-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-SE.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dnyman avatar image
dnyman answered ·

Does the equalization phase require a high amprage? I thought it would be contrast voltage with minimal current. Just enough to get the batteries boiling. My panels are putting out 250 watts. I set the absorbtion voltage to 15.9v and it seemed to get there with 18 amps.

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You are right, it shouldn't need very much current to get to equalisation Voltage, if it does, then something is up with your battery bank, that is why there is a maximum current limit for the equalisation stage.

I don't know how big your battery bank is, but 18A sounds quite high. Do you have any loads connected when doing an equalisation charge? These loads will be taking current too.

2 |3000

dnyman avatar image
dnyman answered ·

I have 2 Trojan T105 in series. It does seem to get hung up at 15.35 V and 7.5 A. This is after a full charge cycle with 6 hr absorbtion time (although it doesn’t seem to stay in absorbtion mode that long).

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic