question

freesurfer avatar image
freesurfer asked

Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/35 (48V) interface with "virtual load"

I am going to order a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 150/35 for a 48V system, but I would like to be able to use the "virtual load" feature to give me some flexibility like signalling some equipment to start when there is sunlight, or disconnect on low battery and such (haven't decided exactly how to use it yet)

I understand that this controller doesn't have "Load" terminals like the smaller controllers do, but does have a "virtual load" feature which can be used the same way just with external contactors and such. Do I need some VE direct cable? And how exactly do you interface it with other things? Is it an isolated NO/NC relay contact, a voltage signal, or what? The manual didn't give much information about how to use the features. But I understand that it can be set up with the bluetooth app.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

You'll need the VE.Direct TX digital output cable.

Manual is here: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/VE-Direct-TX-digital-output-cable-EN.pdf

It's basically an output Voltage signal for switching. It will not drive a relay coil directly.
This cable occupies the VE.Direct port, so you'll not be able to connect anything else here at the same time. eg Venus GX or Cerbo.

You can use the Bluetooth app to perform the setup.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.