question

trompies avatar image
trompies asked

Charging two batt banks with with one Charge controller

I have two 150 renogy panels going into a single Victron 100-30. I want to rewire it so that it will charge two battery banks at the same time. Bank A has a starting battery and a house battery with a perko switch. Bank B has two batteries in parellel same size. Question can I do this and will the two banks equalize each other before getting a charge? I think I need an ACR.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Trina avatar image
Trina answered ·

So I did this at one point but all the batteries were absolutely identical and while I could monitor bank A and bank B with the BMV-712 (it can monitor a second bank or starter battery using the probe and I think some of the earlier ones can as well) to CHARGE them using solar with my MPPT 100/15 required having a marine switch wired to have either bank A or bank B (but not both) being charged and needed me to manually switch which bank was being charged by my solar controller. It wound up being a pain vs combining banks OR charging my starter battery separately or just like above (as in the case of a boat/RV setup). So I kept the manual switch for times I might need to charge my starter via solar.

I don't know what Victron might have to automate the process but my system is too small to warrant more things vs. another MPPT and panel or two. I would think with their development there's something they have to automate this charging more than one bank depending on SOC vs using a manual throw switch. Sorry I can't help more and I will be interested to see if there is a better solution offered here.

I have the SmartSolar mppt 100/15.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.