question

phillucky13 avatar image
phillucky13 asked

Victron multiplus compact AC out not working

I have a multiplus compact 12/2000 and I have just wired everything. First time wiring a solar project for our RV. I have the MPPT solar charger 2 100Ah battle born lithium batteries. My problem is that I have wired a 15 amp breaker on my ac out to my outlets in my RV. I have 111-116 volts coming out of the inverter depending on if it is hooked up to shore power or running off the batteries. Whenever I turn the breaker on for the outlets the inverter clicks and the inverter light cuts out and alarm light stays on solid and power is cut off and the fans kick on. Everything else seems to be working properly and this only cuts out when I turn breaker on for the outlets. I do not have a ground wire from my ground bus on the 30 amp load center that the 15 amp breaker is in. All ground wires from outlets and inverter connect to this ground bus but I do not have a ground running from that bus to shunt bar for batteries. I do not know why the inverter would be clicking and shutting off and fans turn on. Am I missing something here???

Thanks.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Make sure the output of the Multi is the only think connected to the outlet circuit. Normally, this circuit is powered from the RV's AC distribution panel. If you've paralleled up the Multi to that normal connection, that's your problem.

Normally, you disconnect shore power from the AC distribution panel's main input (usually a breaker) and connect that to the AC INPUT of the Multi via a suitable isolated breaker. The AC output of the Multi then connects to the AC distribution panel's input (where shore power was originally connected). This allows all AC circuits in the trailer to receive inverter power assisted with shore power if present. This usually works the best if you can manually manage loads while on inverter.

Another way to hook up the inverter is to disconnect the circuit that feeds RV outlets from the distribution panel and insert the Multi in that path. Then only the outlets would receive inverter power.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.