question

gojs avatar image
gojs asked

Mppt charge controller leaking battery voltage to pv input connectors?

Hi, I have a Mppt 150/70 Mc4 and it has been working great for the last 4 years. I have the Bluetooth dongle so I can monitor the PV array out put and then the load.

But now something strange is going on.....

When the sun was setting I noticed the voltage didn't drop to below ~25v. Even when I disconnected the Pv array the voltage is the same. For some reason the Pv voltage is more or less set to the same voltage as the batteries (24v).

It's like the battery voltage is leaking out to the PV connectors. Not until I disconnected the batteries, the controller stopped "charging" (blue light on). And now when I connected the batteries back the voltage for the PV array is again ~24V. I checked with voltmeter that the voltage I was reading on the app was coming to the Pv connectors and it is.... Please help! Is it still safe to use? Is it broken? What can I do?

errorvoltage
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

If this condition occurs its likely that your MPPT has some kind of internal short circuit/malfunction, leading to unintended power flow between the input and output sides.

Speak to your dealer/installer to get your unit bench tested and replaced if necessary.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic