question

mojo avatar image
mojo asked

VE Bus BMS connection

I’ve noticed my VE bus BMS Is connected to the negative side of the BMV 712 shunt. Is this correct? Or should it be connected to the load side?
any help would be much appreciated

Mojo

VE.Bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ur12vman avatar image
ur12vman answered ·

@Mojo Not sure what exactly your question is. Are you asking about the ground lead of the BMS and whether it connects to which side of the battery monitor shunt? If the BMS is connected to an inverter/charger with an ethernet cable, you do not need a ground lead, as the ethernet cable provides the ground. See photo below. This is from the VE BUS BMS Manual page 10.

If you do not have an inverter charger connected then the ground lead would connect on the load side of the shunt as seen in the next pic. This is from the VE BUS BMS manual page 9

Having the power and ground on the load side of the shunt will also assist in tracking State of Charge, but the BMS draws very little power, about 10ma, so it's negligible that the shunt will track that anyway.

Hope this helps, Ron

1580758666454.png (1.4 MiB)
1580758798542.png (1.2 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mojo avatar image
mojo answered ·

Hi thanks for the reply.

i probably didn’t make myself clear with the question

I’m referring to the battery - cable on the BMS. which in my system is connected on to the negative side of the shunt.

The reason I asked the question is that I’ve seen It stated many times that only the battery negative should be connected to the negative side of the shunt. Anything else at all must be connected to the load side of the shunt.

But as you say the BMS is such a tiny load its unlikely to make any difference.

mojo

2 |3000

Related Resources