question

thesee avatar image
thesee asked

My older MPPT does not stay on during the night when connected with VE Direct?

I have just added VE Direct to my two MPPT controllers and the battery monitor. All is good, but... My later 150/35 (2019) controller can be monitored night and day but my older (2015) 100/30 controller only works in the day time, ie with some solar! They both charge correctly and I have never had an issue. The 100/30 has no LED lit at night only when the panels have energy the 150/35 has a blue LED flashing at night and then lit when the panels have energy. I have updated software to the latest edition. Is this correct?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Thesee,

Several years ago (maybe before 2016?) there was a change made in the design of the product that allowed the unit to be powered by either battery or solar panels.

Prior to that hardware redesign, the MPPT units would only be powered by solar panels.

It is possible, as a temporary measure, to disconnect the battery from the battery terminals, and connect the battery to the PV terminals to power on the MPPT to access VictronConnect (eg for programming at it night). Be very careful of observing correct polarity if you do this, as they are the other way around.

Aside from that work around, there is no other firmware or software changes that can change this earlier hardware design behaviour.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

thesee avatar image
thesee answered ·

Thanks Guy, I thought that would be the answer, glad to know things are as they should be.

2 |3000