question

William avatar image
William asked

Can I monitor start battery voltage and temperature of house battery with BMV 712?

I just purchased both the BMV 712 and the MPPT 100/30 smart solar charger. My understanding is that the solar charger will use the BMV 712 to compensate for temperature. I would like to monitor the chassis battery bank as well. I am reading in this forum that the MPPT controller itself has a temperature sensor, but it is taking the temperature where the MPPT is installed. Is this correct and I really do not have to worry about the temperature sensor with the MPPT solar charger mounted close to the batteries? Should I purchase the battery sense to add the temperature sensor and monitor both battery banks?

Thanks,

Bill

BMV Battery Monitortemperature compensation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@signet63, you are correct in that the MPPT has an internal voltage sensor and, so long as the MPPT is mounted in the immediate area of the battery bank that it's charging, it's okay to leave it without an additional temperature sensor.

The BMV-712 will permit full monitoring of a house bank as well as voltage only of a secondary battery bank (starter battery) but, being used in that configuration, you cannot add a wired temperature sensor to the BMV.

Therefore, you have two options, given that you want to monitor your start battery voltage: Either 1. mount the MPPT in the same relative location as the house bank and rely upon its own internal temperature sensor to provide temperature compensation in its charging behavior, or 2. Add a Smart BatterySense to your house bank and create a Ve.Smart Network with your (Smart) MPPT; the SBS will communicate voltage and temperature data to your MPPT and the MPPT will respond accordingly.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic