question

britinusa avatar image
britinusa asked

MultiPlus will not invert unless engine running

Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120/50

Scenario:-

Boat away from the dock. Engine off, need to run the inverter but it will not switch from "OFF" unless we start the boat engine. After a few moments above idle rpm, the Inverter will switch on then everything is fine. If I turn the inverter off and later try to run the inverter again, same thing - have to start the engine. Once the inverter is on, then I can shut down the engine and everything works as exepected.

I'm guessing it's a programming issue ( not using any clever Code Red features at all )

It's as though some setting is recognizing that the battery voltage is too low to run the inverter but the batteries are typically around 99-100% charged ( 300Ah LiFePo4 )

Any ideas?

( had to choose Multiplus-II as Topic as Multiplus was not an option)

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
There's a setting in the multi fo battery voltage. You'll need a MK3 to usb adapter and ve.config (free download) to access it.
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

britinusa avatar image britinusa commented ·
I figured it would be something like that. I have MK3 to USB and ve.config I just don't know which setting. :(
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ britinusa commented ·
@Britinusa

In the 'Inverter' section of VEConfig there's 3 Voltage settings. Do they suit? A wild guess is that the Restart one is too high.

1 Like 1 ·
britinusa avatar image
britinusa answered ·

Thanks John, I'll check that at the boat tomorrow ( it's 30mins away from home ). I like your wild guess :)

2 |3000

britinusa avatar image
britinusa answered ·

Thanks @JohnC, that was it.

I use the MK3 and VE-Config (windows laptop ) and found the Inverter settings. Changed the 'DC Low Input Restart' value from 13.8v to 12.8v.

Battery bank is 3 x Chin 12.8v LiFePo4 batteries - Parallel ( each battery is 4x3.2v Cells )

Tested the system after 24 hours and it switched into Inverter mode within a couple of seconds.

Yes, I saved the settings after making the changes.

Thank you guys!

2 |3000