question

ee21 avatar image
ee21 asked

Multiplus-II 120v 48/5000/70-95 and UL1741 listing "pending"?

Is there any information available on what "pending" means for the UL1741 listing status for the Multiplus-II 48/5000/70-95?

I did not find much info when searching the forums, is there a high confidence this certification will be approved eventually? I'm looking at planning a project around the 5KVA model in an area where this certification is going to be required. I'm wondering if maybe I should reconsider my plans using the 3KVA instead or what the general consensus is here from the community.. Thanks!

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Ed Jones avatar image
Ed Jones answered ·

Even if it gets approved in the near term, you still won't be able to sell back to the grid or use ESS. Not legally anyway. Victron is tight-lipped about this because they know they are years behind in certifications, not just in the USA, but around large parts of the world. It's simply not been a focus and they seem content growing their RV and marine OEM business in North America instead, while the residential and C&I sectors are flooded with Chinese imports, and often relabeled by American companies. These companies seem to have no issue getting their equipment certified not only for UL1741SB, but the more stringent requirements in CA and HI.

But even if the 48/5000 120V hardware gets UL1741 tomorrow, Victron won't have the software to conform to UL1741SA or SB, nor will they have grid codes any time soon. It's monumentally frustrating. I'm hearing 18-24 months at the earliest for grid-tie capability in the USA as I type this in July 2024. We were one of the first distributors to receive the 48/5000 120V in Spring 2023 and we're still waiting for certification.

FWIW, the Quattro 48/10000 and Multi-II 48/3000 have UL1741 hardware certs. No grid interactivity though.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.