question

msmolow avatar image
msmolow asked

Orion XS Cable Size does not meet listed spec

I recently installed an Orion XS. I could only properly fit 6awg cable using ferrules. I see no way a 4awg cable could be fully inserted, despite what the spec sheet says.

Anyone else have this problem, did Victron improperly size the cable receiving barrel?

orion xs
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Are you square crimping? Could be the proverbial square peg in a round hole?

Also ferrule adds diameter to the wire....

Fairly certain the receiving barrels will be an off the shelf integration.

0 Likes 0 ·
5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @msmolow,

The following pictures show:

• 4AWG without ferrule

4awg-without-ferrule.jpg

• 6AWG without ferrule

6awg-no-ferrule.jpg

• 6AWG cable with a bootlace ferrule6awg-wire-collarless-ferrule.jpg
  • 6AWG bootlace ferrule crimped hexagonal (that's important square crimped will not fit)

6awg-ferrule-crimped.jpg

• 6AWG with bootlace ferrule fitted in the Orion XS connector

6awg-with-ferrule.jpg

All cables fit, the 4AWG snugly but it fits. Please look closely at the fine strand size, larger strands may not fit.

If using a bootlace ferrule it’s important to make sure that the strain relief part can still grip the cable insulation as intended.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The Victron recommendation is to not use ferrules unless using thinner cable. See the manual.

www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Orion_XS_12-12-50A_DC-DC_battery_charger/en/installation.html

1 comment
2 |3000

neptuneuk avatar image neptuneuk commented ·

The manual states:

"The use of ferrules is not required for cables from the above table. If an even thinner cable is used, a ferrule can help to bundle the loose wires. However, it is up to the installer to make sure that the cable is properly secured. The connecting cable, with or without a ferrule, should be adequately clamped to ensure low contact resistance."

Bold is my empahsis.

There is no such recommendation in the manual that I could find that states '...not use ferrules unless using thinner cable'. Simply that they are not required when using cables from the table shown in the manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
neptuneuk avatar image
neptuneuk answered ·

Hi @msmolow ,

I would use pin / palm crimps in an Orion XS installation, with adequate strain relief also.

This means your not trying to stuff wires AND metal into a limited receptacle.

2 |3000

msmolow avatar image
msmolow answered ·

It was near impossible to get 6awg with no ferrule into the barrel without some of the strands remaining outside.

To my original question, 6awg was hard enough, I don’t see how 4awg would fit.

To those who answered my question, do you have an Orion XS?

2 |3000

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi all,

To those having issues could you please post some photos of the cables you’re using and the installation?

My first guess is that strand size is too large.

2 |3000