question

bimmerracer avatar image
bimmerracer asked

Mutiplus 2x120 RV application

Hello, new user here trying to navigate my way through upgrading our travel trailer. Currently, we have 30A shore power connection. The plan in my head is to update to 50A with the main purpose of adding a second AC unit. I imagine the L1/L2 feeding two sides of the panel with an AC unit on each side as well as having our primary 120V appliances on the same side as the primary AC unit.

Questions:

1. When 50A shore power is unavailable either due to campsite limitations or possibly running on a portable generator which is only 30A, what happens? Does L2 go dead?

2. When there's no shore power, does L2 go dead as well?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi, welcome to the Community!

The answers to those questions are conveniently in the first and second paragraphs of the product description: https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-ii-2x-120v

If you want to check out the power flow diagrams that actually show that operation (some of us prefer schematics to print, not sure if that's the case for you or not) you can see them in the manual here: https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/MultiPlus-II_12V-24V_3kVA_2x120V/en/UUID-1ff22c09-d3c7-a2e1-1f4e-4fd90f9a5e89.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bimmerracer avatar image
bimmerracer answered ·

Thanks, that helps. A few follow up questions if I may

- When connected via a 30A-50A dog bone adapter which I believe bridges the two legs be considered split phase or single phase?

- Will the current input limit need to be changed?

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
- That would be single-phase input, and wouldn't serve any purpose to use since the Multi would just ignore the voltage on L2 input anyway in that event.

- Possibly, it depends on what input current you actually have available. In many cases it's not actually necessary, the MultiPlus is pretty good about not trying to pull more than is actually present, but depending on where you're connected and, for instance, if your "30A" pedestal actually has a 25A breaker in it, it can be useful - and changing the AC Input Current limit also affects other things like PowerAssist, so it's all a matter of your particular use-case in each particular location and environment.

1 Like 1 ·