question

eyacht avatar image
eyacht asked

How to add a DC generator to my system

Hi everyone. My system is 48V LiFePO4 540Ah, two Quattro 5KW inverter/chargers, shunt, and the colour displays. It used to have an AC generator connected to AC in 1 but that has been removed. I have installed a new DC generator and was wondering if I need to configure the display to enable "Has DC System" and whether there was any other configuration needed.

For background, I ran the generator for 20 minutes today and 2 not-so-good things happened while charging: 1. my BMS said my battery was being drained and now has a 0% SOC; and 2. the voltage on my little round & grey Victron displays (BMV 700) jumped around between 50.5V and 49V when the actual voltage was 51.3V. On the colour display I saw a drain on the system over 50A, which finally dropped to about 10A ... but the inverters were off (I was running on the other side so there couldn't be a load at all, let alone 50A). I reset the BMS and rebooted the display and, other than showing 0% SOC, everything looked correct again.

dc system
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
eyacht avatar image
eyacht answered ·

UPDATE: Solution for posterity in case anyone searches for the same issue ... I ended up enabling the "Has DC System" option in the CCGX and tested it on the port side - all voltages matched and the BMS didn't freak out so that's a win.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

What Output (Volt/Ampere) does the DC Generator has?

I run currently a Hydrogenerator with 2000W and 52,4V and a 2-Phase Bridge Rectifier directly on my Batteries using a 4,1kW Engine and the Energy is conted over a SmartShunt connected to the ColorControl GX.

Do you have a SmartShunt too?

Maybe your system got confused by not knowing where the Energy came from or if you have an SmartShunt, it couted backwards (installled the wrong direction)

1 comment
2 |3000

eyacht avatar image eyacht commented ·
Hi ... it's a 7KW generator; I can set the constant current to anything from 10-70A for the bulk phase and I set it to 40A on this occasion. I have a not-smart shunt and the negative from the generator is attached on the opposite side of the batteries, with my solar and wind inputs. It does seem like the BMS got confused but I'm not sure how.
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic