question

Manuel Gruchot avatar image
Manuel Gruchot asked

Orion TR 12 12 9, very hot and smells burnt

Hi, I have an Orion TR 12 12 9 to charge a Lifepo 50A in the car. It is set to 14.2 V. Yesterday I was driving for 3 hours and I noticed a burnt smell. It smelled like a codensator had burnt off. I stopped and noticed that the Orion is very hot. Why does it smell like that? Defect? Thanks best regards Manuel

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

They can go up to about 70C. Also need decent ventilation and to be mounted with the fins vertical. If you're worried, check with your dealer.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Manuel Gruchot avatar image
Manuel Gruchot answered ·

I currently have it mounted horizontally.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
If it has to be horizontal, try a small pc fan to force air over the fins
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

That model is not designed as a charger!

1 comment
2 |3000

Manuel Gruchot avatar image Manuel Gruchot commented ·

But that does not matter lifepo aside, or?.... It does not require a charging characteristic but only constant current at 14-14.4 V.

0 Likes 0 ·
brian-van-niekerk avatar image
brian-van-niekerk answered ·

Did the Orion survive getting so hot? I got two for a similar setup and they get super hot and make loud buzzing noises. I don't know if I'm gonna end up just burning them out or melting something. They do put through up to 17 Amp each instead of the 9 Amp I thought they would.

2 |3000