question

Delta Victor avatar image
Delta Victor asked

Surge protector on mppt

I was wondering if it would be good practice to place a spd between the solar array and the mppt 150/35. I know there is always a lot of discussion about the price of a device that you probably will never need. The spd probably Cost more then the mppt. But thinking about the safety of the devices that are connected to the mppt, i thought it could made some sense.

Therefore i was looking around for spd's around the maximum voltage of 150v. Eventually i found a Type 2 Dehn DG M YPV sci 150.

Would this device protect the gx device, expensive battery, dc side of the multiplusses and all the other connected devices?

If i place one one the solar side there would also a Type 2 Dehn DG M TT 275 placed at the ac grid side.

MPPT Controllersspd
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Delta Victor

I am very much a fan of using SPDs.

They are like seatbelts, you don't need them until you need them. But you clip yourself in anyway.

What inverter do you have? Some should have on the input and output.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Delta Victor avatar image Delta Victor commented ·

It's a 3phase system with 3x multiplus 48/3000, two mppt150, a cerbo gx and pylontech force batteries

0 Likes 0 ·
jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

I am also using SPDs on the DC Lines.

I have about 20m of DC cable between the Modules and the MPPT and that's why I have installed two SPDs in the DC path. One directly in the module combiner box, and one directy at the MPPT.

It was not easy to find something suitable for the 150VDC. What I found was a SPD from Citel "DDC40CS-20-150" but was not available ~1,5 years ago and was quite expensive.

Finally I ordered some SPDs directly from China, the "LSP SLP40-DC150". The price was about 30€ per SPD.

Meanwhile there are more suppliers for theses 150VDC SPDs and on the other hand the MPPT prices dropped a lot. So I would still recommend to use a SPD, but not the most expensive one. ;-)

2 |3000

Delta Victor avatar image
Delta Victor answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

I don't want to give the victron staff more work than necessary but wouldn't it be interesting to integrate SPD's in the wired unlimited book?

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic