question

Luis Correa avatar image
Luis Correa asked

victron deep cycle battery gel charge level jumps 40% in seconds

I have two Victron deep cycle gel batteries (2x220Ah) in parallel, charged from solar panels with a Victron MPPT. The charge level shown on my Victronconnect chart jumped from 60% to 100% in minutes. This data is feed from Cerbo S GX, lectures from SmatShunt.

This can´t be real. This happened two days in a row.

Battery voltage was 12.6V, below the programmed charge/float/storage voltage.

I do not find an explanation.

As background, we are in autumn know, therefore my PV charger is giving very low power, but I do not know if this has anything to do with that.

discharge level
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Luis Correa Sounds like your SmartShunt needs to be configured a bit better.

Have a look at this video and tweek your settings.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

The reason for this is the default "charged voltage" setting in the SmartShunt is 13.2V, ideally with solar charging increase this to 0.2V lower than the MPPT absorption voltage, if absorption is set to 14.4V then use 14.2V in the SmartShunt. With the default 13.2V setting the SmartShunt confuses low output solar charging with the end of charging phase and goes to 100%. The new setting means that the voltage has to be above 14.2V, i.e. charging at full voltage to reset to 100%. It is all explained in the manual.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic