question

ben-p avatar image
ben-p asked

Wiring question for charge controller when adding a new panel.

Hi,

I have the MPPT 75/15 charge controller on my boat currently with a 50w panel connected to it, in a 12v system. The charge controller is a great product and it has served me well for the last three years.

I’m going to be adding an additional 50w panel in the next couple of weeks. I can wire the new panel and the old panel together in parallel as would be the normal approach. But I am wondering what would happen of it simply wired the new panel directly into the contacts in the charge controller. This would mean that each of the positive and negative contacts for the panels on the charge controller would have 2 cables connected rather than 1.

My question is, would this create an issue for me? Or should I be wiring the panels together in parallel and taking a single pair of cables to the charge controller.

I realise the latter is the usual convention but wiring the new panel directly into the charge controller would actually be really easy given its location on the boat.

I hope you can help,

thanks Ben.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Use Y cables to join. So if it's easier, to go direct to the controller, go ahead. But don't bodge with 2 cables into a single connector.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.