question

engmarc avatar image
engmarc asked

Quattro install in open but protected area

I have a Victron Quattro 24/5000/120-100/100 120V VE.Bus that I purchased for my RV.

I know it is supposed to installed indoor in a protected area. There really isn't a good place to do that as it is kind of cumbersome and difficult to get to.

Ideally, I'd like to install it underneath between the frame rails so it would be likely facing down (back mounted horizontal). It would very rarely get any water but would be exposed to the outside air (warm and cold).

I'd like to feedback on this install idea for 'absolute do not do' and 'may do but be careful' guidelines.

I did work on the configuration for the replacement of the Xantrex unit and tried to find the smallest 24v system that would function. Unfortunately, the Quattro 24v was the smallest choice. It's huge and heavy too.

Any ideas would be helpful for successfully installing the Quattro.

PS, I'm a mechanical engineer by training so not too complicated to do some major stuff if needed.

Marc

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @EngMarc,

It's always a tricky thing to get parts to fit perfectly in vehicles. Extremely common compromise between airflow, access and protection.

To me it sounds like you are describing installing the unit underneath your vehicle fully exposed to the road, somewhere in line with the axle?

For me that is absolutely do not do. That is far too exposed.

If that is literally the only possible place, I would only see it as viable if you were able to install an additional protective housing that the unit was inside of to provide additional protection. You will then have issues with airflow under load, so that also needs consideration.

If I am way off base, it might be clearer if you took some photos and did a sketch.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

engmarc avatar image engmarc commented ·
so what absolutely needs to be protected from say splashes?

I'm thinking of putting a clear lexan style shield that wraps around it part of the way on the road side which should keep direct water spray off of it.

Let me know thoughts - as you state I don't want too seal it into a box and then have to deal with cooling so would rather partially cover it.

0 Likes 0 ·
engmarc avatar image
engmarc answered ·

yep, I agree but there isn't a good option.

I was thinking of putting some sort of baffle on the road side to protect it from splashs. It won't be near an axle though. It's likely going to be mid vehicle area (not sure yet as haven't actually installed it or mapped it out - waiting for nicer weather).

It's a bear of a beast at about 60 lbs so tough to figure out a good spot to put where it will be moderately accessible.

I might be able to put it inside an exposed but covered cabinet which would be better but further away from electrical stuff. That would put it on it's side likely with the back mounted on the wall.

As I said, no option is perfect so trying to play with all the options for analysis.

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The Quattro only has a IP21 rating, that means water and dust can enter easily.

You need to build a completely sealed housing around it but than you have problems with ventilation.

I don't think you will get an official approvement from Victron. You will install it at your own risk. Damage due to water, moisture, dust and dirt is NOT covered by the warranty!

2 |3000