question

mastercatz avatar image
mastercatz asked

Victron MultiPlus 24/5000 AC Couple on output

100% offgrid in middle woop woop and not enougth solar during winter to keep batteries topped up wanting to add another 3-5kw panels about 100m away from the inverter where the sun actually is

we have a Victron MultiPlus 24/5000

their is a Generator on the input side

and we were wanting to add enphase microinverters and was hoping they would work just connected to the inveters AC output / same circuit of the house , but the installer said it would blow up the inverter doing that and said we had to buy a Quattro 5024 that has 2x inputs ?

I thought it would have worked with the enphase being a gridtied inverter that matches AC signals ?

we do not have the envoy for configuring the microinverters

what would happen

inverter blow up ?

inverter charge the batteries?

inverter go idle from no load?

ac coupling
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@MasterCATZ

They are not officially supported.

That being said there are people that do use them. There are few posts on the forum about what people are doing. Enphase have a paper on them.

I have not used them personally.

Do they respond to frequency shift? Of they do then you can use them. There is also the possibility to have them on the AC out2 and program it to shut off if the batteries are full (so use the generator assistant in the inverter) and maybe use them that way to be safe. But have some DC PV as well.

By the inverter blow up ... they probably mean that there is no way for the inverter to officially control them so possibly you will have over charged batteries, AC voltage rise and unexpected shutdowns. All of which are not good scenarios being off-grid.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mastercatz avatar image
mastercatz answered ·

ok thank you for the answer

I guess I will need to buy a envoy so I have the software for controlling the micro inverters so they shutdown when freq changes

I thought it would only charge batteries if it was from the AC input side

but turning off AC2 could work as well, was also wanting to run a A/C so that might scrap that idea when batteries are full

its just soo much cheaper using grid tied AC inverters (mostly free from everyone upgrading )

than it is to keep buying more DC Chargers

2 |3000

duivert avatar image
duivert answered ·

ac coupled chargers can be used fine as long as they support frequency shifting,

enphase work but they can give you headache's to get working properly... follow alexandra's enphase link is the best option

DC is always the better choice if you can

2 |3000

Related Resources

AC-coupling and the Factor 1.0 rule

AC-coupled PV with Fronius PV Inverters

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic