question

judoka26 avatar image
judoka26 asked

Blue Smart IP67 - can I leave the charger plugged in while using my batteries?

I have a boat lift that is powered by 2 - 12V flooded batteries in series for 24V. The battery bank powers my lift up and down in order go get my boat in and out of the water. When I am operating the lift, do I need to unplug the charger or can I leave it plugged in? Also, any guidance on things to consider when deciding between a 5 A and 8A version?

bluesmart ip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Judoka26

I leave mine plugged in.

Your consideration in choosing size is charging your batteries at the correct c rating.

Too slow is just as bad as too fast with lead acid.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

umgfoin avatar image
umgfoin answered ·

Yes, you leave the charger plugged in - that's the idea.

To choose the correct model/ max. current rating, it would be necessary to know your battery-capacity, -chemistry, -technology and typical use-case. Assuming a standard flooded lead-acid battery is given, recommended charge current will be 0.1 - 0.5 C.

That means, if you're charging a 70Ah battery, a current of 7-35A is recommended (during bulk stage). Generally, these information is best taken from the manufacturer/ battery-manual.
Flooded lead-acid batteries are not very critical about exceeding max. charge-current as long as max. voltage is strictly kept below the technology-specific limit.

Concerning the IP67 series, I'd go with the 24V/12A model, beside you're using a really small battery and don't mind about longer charge-cycles. Max. current can be limited to a lower value in the chargers configuration.

Just a hint - when wiring 2x 12V batteries in series, their capacity does NOT double (but voltage does).

++umgfoin.

2 |3000