question

philang avatar image
philang asked

Using a shunt to monitor a BlueSmart charger on the Cerbo GX

since the BlueSmart IP22 charger can't be connected to the Cerbo GX for monitoring is there any benifit in the energy management of using a shut directly on the BlueSmart charge output to monitor the charging of the batteries? Can you configure that shut as an energy source in the Cerbo GX as an MPPT would be?

bluesmart ip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

What type of battery is this?

If it isn't a managed battery, then a conventional battery shunt is a good idea, as is enabling "has DC system".

You won't be able to coordinate charging if the device can't be directly connected to the GX, but the system will at least do the maths to display the DC loads on VRM.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

philang avatar image
philang answered ·

I would match it to a LiFePO4 batterie bank consisting of 2 x 280 Ah batteries. I would have an MPPT charger for my solar pannels and I would want a high capacity charger to charge my batteries quickly if needed since I have a 7.5KW inverter directly built into my tow vehicule. Since this is a weekend warior rig for now I do not want to invest in an inverter since I already have it available in the tow vehicule if needed.

The high capacity charger is mainly to not have to wait for a long time while the tow vehicule (or shore power) charges the batteries. I've looked at the Phoenix series charge/inverter but there is no high capacity charger.

What solution does Victron have for those cases? Would I be better looking into other higher capacité chargers (not Victron) and use a shunt with the contact on the Cerbo GX to cutoff power to the charger when the batteries are near full?

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Can you define "high capacity"? What are you wanting to charge at?

The AC options seem to offer 25 or 35A.

0 Likes 0 ·
philang avatar image
philang answered ·

for me there are 2 restrictions, the max charge rate of the batteries but this seems to always be over 100/150 amps on the 12V. The batteries I'm looking at right now have a max charge current of 250 amps per batterie but I would limit that a bit (say at least 50%) for continuous charging. The objective is the be as quick as possible on the battery charging when needed but optimize the investement.

The other limitation is the 120 volts, I have 20 amps per circuit on 2 circuits. So I could have 2 separate chargers (one per 120V circuit) on the batterie bank with.

But I was looking at starting with a 30 amps to 50 amps charger and adding a second if needed. I would be to go higher than that in charging capacity.

1 comment
2 |3000

The Skyla IP65 is a 120/240V charger, at 12V nominal is rated to 70A (configurable).

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Skylla-IP65-EN.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·
philang avatar image
philang answered ·

Yes this would be an option but at this price tag for a charger I'm not sure that this is a good option for me, It would still be a lot less tha add a shunt on multiple chargers output on control a relay or two to lower the charge rate.

It's just too bad that the BlueSmart IP22 doesn't have the ability to talk with the Cerbo GX, that would be a cost effective and nicer setup.

Thanks,

1 comment
2 |3000

I hear you. You are probably better off getting a multi compact or similar and running it charger only. At least it would have the option to supply power as well.
0 Likes 0 ·
philang avatar image
philang answered ·

I came to the same conclusion but still not sure I want to put that money into a Multi that I would use as a charger...

I might just make it simpler and eliminate the Cerbo GX and screen and use a couple a shunt and MPPT configured in my phone and not have the screen and data available in the trailler, it's getting complicated and costly jus to have a screen to see what I could see on my phone.

Thanks for the help, I'm going to look for another solution probably

2 |3000