question

julie-pujol avatar image
julie-pujol asked

My battery voltage seems to have a problem

Hello,

I have a full Victron Energy set up by a pro on my van with a lithium 12V/330ah battery with a Multiplus Compact 12v/2000va/80-30, a 300w solar panel (and the bms, mppt, battery protects ect). This setup is 1y and half old in a French climate (0 to 40 degrees).

I tried my best to understand everything happening, but the battery voltage seems to have a problem.
In winter, the voltage gets low very fast while I didn't use that many amps.
For exemple this morning it was wired on a charging station until 9am, so it was completely full with 13.4V, then I used around 200wh during around 3 hours, and at midday I used only 53ah but my voltage is 12.9V and still getting lower and lower.
I know that the voltage will get below 12V so I will have to charge it again, whereas there is more than 60% of the amps remaining.

Is it a normal behaviour?

If you need any further information, feel free to ask.

Thank you. :)

screenshot-2024-02-27-12-45-53-330-comvictronenerg.jpg

screenshot-2024-02-27-12-45-11-690-comvictronenerg.jpg

voltage drop
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alwin Schulze avatar image
Alwin Schulze answered ·

Could you show the settings of the shunt? Maybe there is something false.

I asume, the battery is not really charged up when shown full in the shunt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@Julie Pujol For exemple this morning it was wired on a charging station until 9am, so it was completely full with 13.4V,

Not completely full. The only time your battery is completely full is when it has spent enough time at the absorption voltage of 14.2v, and Victron Connect indicates your battery is balanced.

vc-batt-status.png

You need to fully charge your battery post haste.

Then share your SmartShunt settings/Multi settings/mppt settings. (Multi and mppt should be set to Victron default Lithium settings)

vc-batt-status.png (325.7 KiB)
2 |3000

julie-pujol avatar image
julie-pujol answered ·

So it means that even if my battery has all its amps, if the voltage didn't get to 14.2V, it's not fully charged right?
But still it feels that the voltage gets low very fast, I mean, if my voltage goes to 13.3v, is it normal for it to go under 12V at the end of the day while I don't the battery that much?

My shunt settings:

screenshot-2024-02-28-12-04-47-222-comvictronenerg.jpg

mppt settings :

screenshot-2024-02-28-12-05-35-903-comvictronenerg.jpg

battery settings:

screenshot-2024-02-28-12-07-23-917-comvictronenerg.jpg

and the multiplus:

screenshot-2024-02-28-12-08-23-095-comvictronenerg.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

@Julie Pujol @Bluepowershop if my voltage goes to 13.3v, is it normal for it to go under 12V at the end of the day

Again, if your battery has not been fully charged to 14,2v and VC has reported "balanced" your batteries are not fully charged.

Your "charged voltage" setting 13,2V in the SmartShunt is to low, so your SmartShunt synchronizes to early.
Set this value to 14V (or 0,2V below absorption) for a correct SOC.

Correct. The Shunt "charged voltage" has to be about 14v

Hereafter charge the battery fully (do not look at the SOC) by charging until the charge current is almost 0A

The Shunt "tail current" should be between 2-4% for reliable synchronization to 100% Soc. 2% for batteries with small charge currents, 4% for batteries with larger charge currents.

1 Like 1 ·
bluepowershop avatar image
bluepowershop answered ·

Your "charged voltage" setting 13,2V in the SmartShunt is to low, so your SmartShunt synchronizes to early.
Set this value to 14V (or 0,2V below absorption) for a correct SOC.

Hereafter charge the battery fully (do not look at the SOC) by charging until the charge current is almost 0A

2 comments
2 |3000

bluepowershop avatar image bluepowershop commented ·
For fully use of the battery also lower the discharge floor to 20%
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ bluepowershop commented ·
This is only used for reporting/alarms.
0 Likes 0 ·
julie-pujol avatar image
julie-pujol answered ·

I changed my settings as you all said, and after a few days of testing how it behaves, it seems much better. The voltage doesn't get low that quickly anymore. As I'm working from my van it's really a life changer, thank you all!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic