question

petaramesh avatar image
petaramesh asked

[Bug] Possible issue with latest BMV-712 Smart 4.16 Firmware ?

Hi,
Opening VictronConnect 6.0 this morning, it proposed me to upgrade the FW of both my BMV-712 Smart and my SmartSolar MPPT, which I did.

Upgrades went well, putting my BMV-712 software version to 4.16.

By the time my battery was partially discharged, since, it recharged fully during the morning but I noticed that the BMV-712 apparently didn't take it into account.

It displays the “Duration since last full charge” as being 7h 27 minutes, which is wrong as the battery is fully charged *now* and has been in “absorption” mode for more than one hour.

Even though the BMV now displays the SOC as being 100% (which is correct), it yet seems not to think that the battery has been fully charged, and has not synced.

Also it appears that the “Duration since last full charge” gives a value that seems to correspond to the time at which the firmware upgrade was performed (and the battery was at about 84% by the time), so definitely not fully charged.

I used the “manually sync to 100%” button to sync, and it did reset the “Duration since last full charge” to zero, but it immediately started couting again, as if my battery was currently discharging, which it is not, as it is being maintained 100% charged in absorption mode.

I have checked, and the FW upgrade didn't change any of the battery and sync parameters, but it definitely changed the system's behaviour.

With the current FW parameters, which I had carefully set, I never saw any sync or “time since full charge” issue in the past, so I wonder if the FW upgrade could have introduced a bug ?

BMV Battery Monitorbug report
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
petaramesh avatar image
petaramesh answered ·

Addendum : Having manually reset the SOC to zero indeed seems to have fixed the problem. The “time since last full charge” counts, but resets to zero every few seconds, which I attribute to the battery current flowing for some milliamps in one direction then the other, as it is maitained at a stable absorption voltage by the charger, but the solar MPPT variations and devices drawing power may cause these small fluctuations.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If the "7h 27min" was the moment of the update I guess the issue was caused by that.
I'm sure tomorrow everything will be fine again.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic