question

mckenzie-keith avatar image
mckenzie-keith asked

Skylla-IP65 battery connection: how does it work?

I have the Skylla IP65 12V 70 A 1+1. I am trying to install it. Something seems amiss with the battery connection studs.

Each stud has a nut on it. Initially I thought I would unscrew the nuts and use them to bolt down the battery lugs directly to the PCB.

But after closer inspection, and after trying to unscrew the nuts somewhat forcefully, I don't think that can be right.

It looks like the nuts may be soldered in place and they definitely have a little puddle of conformal coating around the base that would make them very difficult to remove even if they are not soldered.

1696986859049.png

So am I supposed to install the lugs on top of the nuts? That is a bit unusual. Usually you try to avoid using fasteners as conductors because they are usually not made of the most conductive alloys.

Also, as far as I can see there are no extra nuts included in the package to use to secure the battery lugs. Do I have to go buy nuts at the hardware store or was there an oversight that happened here?

Any insight much appreciated.

The studs are M6 with 1 mm pitch.

Skylla
1696986859049.png (1.4 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Did you buy this new? What does the manual say? I'd have expected to see washers, sparing washers and nuts included.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mckenzie-keith avatar image mckenzie-keith commented ·

Yes I bought it (supposedly) new on Amazon on September 17 of this year. It was delivered September 22nd. The manual does not go into detail about how to attach the battery cables. It does say to attach them but not how.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Skylla-IP65/en/installation-and-wiring.html#UUID-998ee8d2-3640-3a5f-3000-2d0b44f0840b

There are nuts included, in a manner of speaking. But they appear to me to be non removeable (intentionally). I could be wrong about that, though. Maybe you are supposed to force them off.

I guess I could return it, or at least reach out to the seller on Amazon. My problem is right now I am not sure whether there is actually anything wrong.

0 Likes 0 ·
svstone3 avatar image
svstone3 answered ·

Did you ever find an answer to your question?

I have the same issue with my Skylla ip65

2 |3000

Related Resources

Skylla-IP65 product page (12v, 24v)

Skylla-i product page (24v)

Skylla-TG Charger product page (24v, 48v)

Skylla-TG GMDSS product page (24v)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic