question

Ioannis Dimou avatar image
Ioannis Dimou asked

DC-loads-only solar system with grid assist

Hi,

I'm looking into using my SmartSolar MPPT chagre controller +panels + battery to power my home IT equipment all of which has a stable consumption of ~40W. All loads are 24V DC only.

For reliability in case there is not enough solar/battery power I'd like to connect an AC-DC adapter to provide grid assist. Priority is to power via solar first, battery second, grid third.

1. Can I connect the AC-DC adapter to the MPPT to achieve this? If yes, to which input? If not what extra equipement do I need?
  2. If I want to set a specific % of battery to use, do I need any extra equipment?
MPPT SmartSolargrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Ioannis Dimou

Connect the charger to your shunt if you have one or directly to the battery, but definitely not to the mppt.

If you want to use SOC switching, then the BMV has a relay that can switch something on and off based on SOC and is programmable.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic