question

jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary asked

Wakespeed and GUI Mods

I have a wake speed 500 with the latest firmware a cerbo with the latest standard release and the standard release of GUI mods.

Wakespeed appears as a device but I don't get a figure for the alternator power.

Wakespeed has its own shunt which I was expecting it to report it's power output on?

Otherwise it's a lynx BMS with a loads shunt for the dc system.

Thanks for any pointers!

gui modswakespeed
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

If you connect the Wakespeed 500 to the battery shunt it will not report any power as that is not alternator power, but battery power it would be reporting. The shunt needs to be connected to the alternator and the Wakespeed 500 configured with shunt at alternator or might be shunt not at battery, details are in the Wakespeed configuration guide. As soon as the Wakespeed knows the shunt is monitoring the alternator you will get alternator power.

Please also see the section within the manual related to Wakespeed.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jwfrary avatar image jwfrary commented ·

@Bathnm thanks, I misunderstood that setting in the configuration as there being a shunt present rather than that it shiudk use the battery shunt. I'll make that change.

Previously I had a lead acid bank with two smart shunts one for alt and one for loads plus the bmv for the SOC which worked great.

The wake speed is great in terms of functionality but could learn a trick of two from victron connect in terms of clarity of settings.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Also note the Wakespeed shunt needs to connect to the SYSTEM side of the battery shunt, NOT the BATTERY side. Otherwise the battery shunt won't properly calculate current in/out and therefore the SOC (and other) calculations will be incorrect.

2 |3000

offpist avatar image
offpist answered ·

Kevin is right, shunt has to be at the alternator, not battery.

wakespeed.jpg

wakespeed.jpg (76.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic