question

martin-fi avatar image
martin-fi asked

ESS min. SOC reached but discharging continues

In this system the MultiPlus is the battery monitor.

If we set min SOC 5% everything is fine. Multi stops discharging the battery at 5% SOC.

Question:

If we set the SOC 0% the Multi continues discharging the battery.

Is this a normal behaviour?

ESSSOC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

ESS does not work when you set it to 100% (the algo has a hysteresis, both positive and negative, around the minimum set SOC for ESS to work).

Because you can't get more than 100% SOC nor less than 0%, ESS logic will not work right at those extreme opposite ends.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

I would also add here the ve bus SOC is not the best way to determine SOC is has no way of knowing the current moving and is likely not accurate. So it will be using voltage all the way down to the c rating cut off set in the ESS assistant.

Use a BMV for SOC.

2 |3000

Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru answered ·

Maybe a dumb question, but why on earth one would want to discharge a battery to 0% SOC?

Now onto your question, the logic inside ESS is based on 5% increments and decrements.

No, it's not normal behavior and maybe somewhere, in programming, a check is missing for these (almost nonexistent) cases below 5% SOC.

1 comment
2 |3000

thanar avatar image thanar commented ·

I've set my SoC to 0% a few times on purpose, to bring the batteries all the way down, in order for their BMSs to properly calibrate. It turned out that they were hiding around 10% of capacity.

0 Likes 0 ·
thanar avatar image
thanar answered ·

Afaik, if you set SoC to 0%, the system will keep discharging until stopped by the BMS, or until the low voltage threshold is met. Which makes sense in a few situations.

I've set my systems' SoC to 0% a few times on purpose, to bring the batteries all the way down, in order for their BMSs to properly calibrate at the bottom. It turned out that they were hiding around 10% of capacity.

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Generally how it works. It is how they get to their warranty periods with consistent use. If you dip into that with any regularity you will regret it later.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I wouldn't say hiding the capacity. Basically to guarantee a certain useable capacity for a period of time, the bank is oversized to allow degradation and still keep the advertised capacity.
1 Like 1 ·
martin-fi avatar image
martin-fi answered ·

Thank you for all the comments.

Of course discharing (until it the cut off voltage of the battery is reached) to SOC 0% is risky. It was just a question to understand the system better.

I agree a BMV is a much better measurement than the internal Battery Monitor of the Multis.

So there is no ESS regulation at the SOC limits (0% and 100%).

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic