question

otterspeed avatar image
otterspeed asked

Charging 12V LFP battery pack through 48V

Hi all,

Just curious on different opinions how to charge a 12V LFP battery from a 48V LFP pack or whenever on shore power. I've seen some other treads but these were all dated.

User case:

I recently converted my boat from fossil fuel to a fully electric 48V 10kW motor (WaterWorld, quite nice product, not sponsored), 16S 304ah EVE LFP cells in an Apexium battery box connected with CANBUS to the Cerbo GX with Touch 50 & a MultiPlus-II 48/5000/70.

For the newly installed bowthruster and the household 12V system (fridge, LED lights etc.) I'm using EVE 304ah cells in 4S config with a BMS & a SmartShunt connected to the Cerbo but still looking for ways of charging this 12V system.

Option 1: using a Orion DC/DC 48/12 set at a constant voltage to a range of 40 / 70% (13- 13.4V)

Option 2: using a Blue Smart charger

Any more suggestions are very welcome.

Right now I'm thinking about using option 1 and using Node-Red to set parameters whenever shore power is connected to automatically start the Orion DCDC to charge the 12V bank and when the voltage drops below a certain parameter during sailing to charge from the 48V bank.

Curious to different opions.

Tom

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Otterspeed

I do this by switching the 48/12 with Assistants in the Multi. My system is solar based, so set to come on when solar charge reaches a certain V AND SOC reaches a certain level (this so when solar (48V side) has backed off in Absorb state I can get the most from it). Also detects when ACIN (genset) is present and will come on then anyway. Manual toggle switch too for full override if ever needed.

Works well for me. Can provide the Assistants detail if you decide to go this way..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.