question

bo-andreini avatar image
bo-andreini asked

Has my controller gone bad?

I added 3 new solar panels to an existing system on my boat. I added two new - dedicated to each panel - 150/70s and connected the 2020 installed 150/60 to the third panel. The 150/60 is cutting off that panel production by entering float much earlier in the day than the others - about 10:00am. The 150/60 history shows daily production well under of half each 150/70. I've done a re set of the 150/60. I've matched all three settings as best I can; volts for bulk, absorb, float, etc. The battery voltage read out for the 150/60 is .6v more than all other controller read outs. Are there other settings I should change? They all worked evenly when first installed. Has the 150/60 gone bad?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

The elevated voltage measurement would produce the behavior you describe. I assume that they are not in a VE.Smart network.

The source of the voltage difference is likely either wiring/connection resistance or an MPPT fault.

1. Check all connections for proper torque and quality. Correct any issues.
  2. When PV is inactive (no current flowing), measure voltage AT each MPPT's battery terminal connection with a meter. Compare to each MPPT reported measurement.
  3. Conduct the relevant tests you can from this document: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Pre-RMA_bench_test_instructions/114199-Pre-RMA_bench_test_instructions-pdf-en.pdf

The RMA document indicates that voltage error in excess of 1% is out of range and should be replaced.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.