question

iang avatar image
iang asked

Do the charge controllers have a maximum PV power limit and if so how do you navigate around it?

Assuming I have 60 pieces of 550 W jinko panels with a Voc of 50.27V and Isc of 14.01A. How many smart solar charge controllers do I need and what size?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

@IanG You forgot to mention your battery (system) voltage.

Have a look at Victrons mppt calcualtor.

The output power is limited by the Mppt's output current x the system voltage.

Dont go over the Mppt's PV input Isc rating, or the Mppt's PV input voltage.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iang avatar image iang commented ·

System voltage is about 48V

0 Likes 0 ·
djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

It all depends on your configuration. Are all the panels facing the same direction? any shade? Those 2 can require different configs to coop with the shade / various MPPT points.
If all are 'perfect', no shade on strings or different orientations, you're looking about 27kW total peak power, which is like 550A at 50V. That matches 2x MPPT RS 450/200 and 1x 450/100.
In most cases I would see if you can orientate the panels differently, eg facing east/west. That allows you to overpanel the MPPTs and provides a better consistent output during the whole day (instead of peaking), and you're probably fine with 2x 450/200 controllers. (That gives you 8 trackers, so you can run 7 panels in series on each tracker for a total of 56 panels. You can keep 4 as spare, or connect the remaining 4 on a smaller 150/45 in a 2P2S config.

2 |3000