question

neflier avatar image
neflier asked

BMV-712 with Generic Shunt

I have an existing older (2006) battery monitor from another manufacturer that has a 500A, 50 mV shunt. It is not very accessible and changing to the included BMC-712 shunt would not be easy. The Victron manual allows the installation of the Victron shunt's PCB on a generic shunt. My problem is the distance between the mounting screws is significantly different so the Victron PCB can't be mounted on the existing shunt. The existing monitor is wired to an easily accessed terminal strip and is then connected to the existing shunt.

Instead of mounting the Victron PCB to the existing shunt, can I mount it near the terminal strip and use four short runs of wire to connect the PCB to the terminal block?

I can purchase the latest monitor from the existing manufacturer, but I'd prefer to standardize on Victron equipment and not lose Bluetooth monitoring.

Thanks!

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

It should be possible to connect the BMV 712 PCB connection points to wires that run to a remote shunt, the current is very low but make sure the wires are oversized because the power for the backlight and relay will come through one of these wires, use the same wire gauge as the positive wire or thicker. You then need the positive wire to power the unit and voltage sense to the local 12V terminal block. You may or may not need the 4th wire for starter battery or other aux function.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.