tfboy avatar image
tfboy asked

Multiplus2 AC-Out 2 control

I finally have my system up and running:

• Multiplus II 5000/70/50
  • SmartSolar RS 450/100
  • DIY LFP battery with JK BMS
  • Cerbo GX

For now, I have programmed via a couple of assistants turning AC Out 2 on and off so it can heat my how water via the immersion heater.

Currently, it's something like:

• turn AC Out 2 ON when SOC > 90%
  • turn AC Out 2 OFF when SOC < 85%

This appears to work fine.

However, the only way I can modify this is by using either VE Config remotely or taking the cover off the MP to connect with my Mk3 USB adaptor.

In both cases, this requires a restart of the MP2 which isn't ideal.

Is there any way to control this remotely that doesn't require the convoluted editing of VSC files and VEConfig?

I haven't looked at using third party software like node red or home assistant. I'm using just the built-in feature set of the Victron ecosystem with a basic ESS setup and a further two assistants for the AC Out 2 control.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@tfboy

AC2 out can't be controlled by node red currently.

But you can manipulate it using the aux input relay eg if it is on then AC2 out it on. Off then off. (Programmed with ve config of course) Then combine that with a relay from the GX or other device which you can now use generator control Or manual on off.

Something like that anyway, you will have to experiment.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

w8dev avatar image w8dev commented ·

I wonder if you could do something similar to this, just changing the assistants to turn the AC Out 2 on/off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5-7xcGWsgE

Then you could control via the VRM or Remote Console.

1 Like 1 ·
tfboy avatar image tfboy w8dev commented ·
Thanks, I'll have a play with this :)
1 Like 1 ·
Rob Duthie avatar image
Rob Duthie answered ·

Hi

You can use the Cebo relays to control it, if you are not using the generator mode or relay1 you can do the same thing easily, Or if Victron added in more features to relay2 you can do the same?

Regards
Rob D

NZ

1 comment
2 |3000

tfboy avatar image tfboy commented ·
Hi @Rob Duthie , I've managed to get this working.

Except that when I trigger the relay, it draws from the grid rather than from the battery.

Is there any way I can force the load to be from battery only?

0 Likes 0 ·
tfboy avatar image
tfboy answered ·

Just another question regarding AC-Out 2. I have it wired exclusively to the immersion heater. So when the relay is open, no power is being used by AC-Out 2.

My understanding is that the AC-Out 2 is what Victron label as "Critical loads" in VRM.

If that's the case, then why am I seeing random trickle amounts of power in VRM when the relay is always open?

1704792819511.png

1704792819511.png (97.1 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Critical loads are AC Out 1 and AC Out 2 together.

0 Likes 0 ·
tfboy avatar image tfboy Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

I don't have anything wired on AC-Out 1. Only AC connections are AC-In and AC-Out 2.

0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image daza tfboy commented ·
Is the relay wired normally open or normally closed ie is it wired that it is energised to open it?
0 Likes 0 ·
dwmarine avatar image
dwmarine answered ·

I think "Critical loads" are the power required to run the inverter in standby mode?

2 |3000