question

Herve RV Nizard avatar image
Herve RV Nizard asked

Victron and BSL Batteries connections

Hi to all,

Received first batch of BSL batteries 48/100E and 48/200PW . Normally used Pylontech UP5000 with our Victron systems . Familiar with Pylon to Victron connections with Victron cable "type A" and "type B" cables for BMS CAN or CAN BUS connections.

On Victron instructions of approved batteries, they now have BSL and say the "type B" cable should be used .

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:bsl

I tried all I could . Never managed to see the BSL battery on the Cerbo . tried on a Cerbo S.GX with 500bauds, tried on a regular Cerbo, with TypeB cable, with BSL supplied cable , with regular RJ45 cable .... Don't see it >

Any help greatly appreciated .

cerbo gxbslbatt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Herve RV Nizard

If you scan the bar code on the front of the bsl batteries they link their manual with step by step instructions as well.

Are you trying with just one battery first or a few? Have you definitely connected to the can on the battery side?

Other thing to note they don't like the rj45s with metal jackets.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Herve RV Nizard avatar image Herve RV Nizard commented ·

Thank you very much @Alexandra . I am trying first with 1 battery. This system will have 2 so planning to connect the 2nd once I see it on Cerbo. Will try to scan later today. Thank you. Yes on CAN port of battery. I may have forgotten to set dip to 1 . Never set dip on pylontech with victron cables connection, but someone told me in another forum that it is a must.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Herve RV Nizard commented ·
@Herve RV Nizard

Yes the dips are a must do on the BSLs.

0 Likes 0 ·
Herve RV Nizard answered ·

@Alexandra all my appologies. Set the dip with type B cable. All perfect. Thank you. See attached. 20240124-150411.jpg

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Herve RV Nizard

No worries (I have asked a few of my own face palm questions here). Glad you got it working.

1 Like 1 ·

By the way @Alexandra , do you have feed back to share about BSL batteries ? Have been happy for many years with Pylontech but the price difference becomes significant .

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Herve RV Nizard

With warranty. It's great. Total unit replacement. Have replaced 2 units. Some early ones (early firmware) that had issues with balancing and then one cell was not well.

Of the rest of them. SOC does a weird thing (seems to be improved on newer firmware) where 100% is triggered way too early (so jumps up) when charging and then the charge current drops off due to cloud cover or grid drops off again during charging.

Also don't charge too fast (50% of discharge) they can't balance fast enough. They do mention in in set up on the charge current.

Otherwise adding to existing banks. Other than different terminal sizes and dip switch number has been ok. And trouble free.

Bigger banks behave better. But then we have a bunch of single battery systems that have been solid since the beginning. So they are ok. Not premium but do the job. To be clear though we mostly fit the 7kWh Bulls. 135AH cells.

0 Likes 0 ·
Fideri avatar image Fideri commented ·

@Herve RV Nizard I have 8 fairly new BSLs. I think the model is 48/200E. So far they are fine.

Previously, I had 8 pylons. They were installed badly and the boards burnt.

Fideri

0 Likes 0 ·

Thanks for the details . Appreciate .

2 |3000