question

groningen avatar image
groningen asked

quattro parallel question(s) and Generator

I have installed multi-plus 2 a few times in parallel (not a problem).

However, recently a property was purchased with an "old" 48/5000 quattro (will have to check the serial).

The Quattro (with CCGX) is not big enough, so the questions are:

1. I know some have paralleled the two quattro's, but is it worth buying one more quattro compared to a bigger multi? (5000 Quattro is the same price as a 8000 multi, maybe even a 10000 multi)
  2. Yes, quattro can take two inputs and a generator is on hand, but I am thinking of dumping the generator and installing more solar. This property is in the southern hemisphere, so hence power supply is not stable (but back then, no solar panels, so hence generator install). OR is there a work around with regards to the Multi (like a DC to DC or ..... converter) to get a generator on a multi.
  3. How complex is it to parallel quattro? I assume a software of 400 and above is needed but do I have to install CT clamps, extra sensors, extra.........?
  4. What to check out for when considering parallel quattro's? (apart from the obvious wire lengths / sizes, battery size etc). Like only a newer GX will work or .....

Any other feedback will be welcomed irrespective of topic above.

Mvg

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Fideri avatar image Fideri commented ·

@Groningen I agree with @offroadflow on all the other issues. Just to elaborate on #2: You could install a simple external changeover switch.

Fideri

1 Like 1 ·
offroadflow avatar image offroadflow Fideri commented ·
External changeover switch.

Exactly what I was referring to. Haha

But a REAL one (secure), not just two separate relays...

0 Likes 0 ·
offroadflow avatar image offroadflow commented ·
Hello Groningen,.

1) First two devices consume more standby than one, even tho it's not much. And two are less efficient than one. Plus both need to be the very same and there Victron has still internal issues with "what is "the same" and what not". It is possible that two very same from the outside wont be able to parallel.

2) With a Multi you could create a switchover with two relays to choose either grid OR genny depending on what's available. Just make sure to install an electrical AND mechanical failsafe tho make certain that both relays NEVER switch on at the same time.

3) Same as with multis, but with 1) in mind...

4) Must be within the same serial number range. Best contact Victron directly...

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@offroadflow @Fideri

Thank you very much for the information.

Yes indeed, I was aware of the "age" issues of some and hardware internal changes.

Will keep you posted on the end decision.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.