question

antony-1 avatar image
antony-1 asked

12V Litium to 12 V Lead Acid Battery Maintenance Charger

Does something like this exist from Victron, I wish to use the large capacity Lithium batteries to trickle charge and maintain the Starter Lead Acid Battery.

Screen Shot 2024-01-10 at 12.55.18.pdf

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Antony

Not a trickle charger.

But smaller chargers for 12v, yes

Look up ip65 chargers, they come in alot of sizes. 1A upwards. Has neat accessories.

Then there is the ip22 blue smart.

BTW it is the one in your attached diagram.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

antony-1 avatar image
antony-1 answered ·

Alexanda, thanks for the reply but what I'm looking for is a charger with an input voltage of 12V DC - It seems as if the ip65 chargers are 120V to 230V AC input, I hope there is something that I can use

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Look at the Orion range. These are DC:DC chargers/converters.

If you check the datasheet from this link, all the models are listed. You're going to need a 12/12 for 12V in, 12V out. The third figure is the max current.

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/orion-tr-smart-non-isolated

2 |3000

antony-1 avatar image
antony-1 answered ·

Thanks kevgermany, looks like I’m going to fit 2 orion’s to charge both ways.

1) the soon to be released Orion XS 12/12 - 50A set to lithium charge algorithm to charge the house battery from the alternator when driving and a

2) Orion TR Smart 12/12 - 18A set to lead acid charge algorithm to maintenance charge the starter battery when the car is stored for a few months

This way the lead acid stays at 100% as lead acid needs to stay full to protect its life span, and it does not matter if the lithium house battery discharges a bit as only the cycles affect the lithium.

Thanks all

Let’s hope I don’t make smoke.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Suggest you download the manuals from the product page and make sure you know how you're going to control this, particularly the lithium to starter. Also do the maths on trickle charge draw. A couple of amps continuously over a week makes a hole. In a month it makes a big hole.
0 Likes 0 ·
antony-1 avatar image
antony-1 answered ·

Thanks, I hear you

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic